Chimney Tops

Hike #12 : March 2, 2014


4 miles
2 new miles
142.8 total overall miles
101.1 total miles of 800.8


After a long hiatus from the trail, I'm going solo for my first hike in the park of the year. I'd hiked the Tops several years ago and recalled them to be a couple of really tough miles up. Boy, was I right. The first mile of the Chimney Tops Trail is uphill but nothing compared to the second mile. It's a 960 foot climb in a single mile. A real leg burner.

The Trails Forever program has been working on some extensive repair and upgrade work on this trail. I imagine this is one of the most popular trails in the park and all the overuse is bound to have ill effects over time.

After finally making it through that second mile, I come to the rock summit. Time to get my climb on!


Although this is not a huge climb, it could still be dangerous and then there's that whole fear of heights thing but its all good. Excellent views all around!


Heading back down, I was making really good time. Got back to the truck in no time. Shed my gear, threw my pack, sticks, pack and keys in the truck and locked the door. Wait... keys? So much for making good time. So, what's a man to do when he locks his dumbass self out of his truck on a mountain with zero cell service? Beg. Plead with every single person heading down the mountain to contact a ranger. What do these people do in my time of need? Promise to help of course. Empty promises, every one. Faith in humanity shaken. After over a hour, as fate would have it, there were several truckloads of park officials and press there to do a media piece on the repairs of the trail. They were more than happy to contact a ranger who arrived maybe 15 minutes later. I wish I could remember his name. He did a super job getting the door open and it wasn't easy. Thank you, park ranger dude!


For the record, not a single person contacted the ranger's office on my behalf like they promised. Don't be that person. If someone needs your help and you say you'll help, do it. I will mention that a nice couple from Georgia kept their word and called my wife and let her know what was happening. Always an adventure. 

TRAIL REVIEW

Chimney Tops Trail - 2.0 miles out 2.0 miles back


For more information on this hike and many more, visit Hiking in the Smokys




No comments:

Post a Comment