How It Begins... Mt. Cammerer

Hike #1 : March 16, 2013



18.3 miles
17.3 new miles
18.3 total overall miles 
17.3 total miles of 800.8


Hello, I'm Keith (aka Hikertrash) and this is my journey.

My goal is to hike every trail in The Great Smoky Mountains and join the elusive 900 club. My story started last year, so my first several entries here will be backtracking. Here we go..

It started early in 2013. After a long absence from the trail, a few friends and myself decided to hike Mt. LeConte the week the lodge opened in late March. So after a few starter hikes (Angel Falls Overlook in Big South Fork and House Mountain in East Knox County), I had the grand delusion that I was a seasoned hiker ready to climb the highest mountains.

On March 16th, I set forth from the Cosby Campground on the Low Gap Trailhead to conquer Mt. Cammerer. This was to be a simple 12 mile round trip up and down the mountain. The first 1/2 mile was pleasant enough. Nice and flat with a gentle cool breeze blowing over my weighted shoulders.


The nice and flat didn't last. The next 3 miles leading to the Appalachian Trail were brutal. My friend and often hiking partner, Eddie, had told me it leveled out after the junction. I should point out now that Eddie is an expert hiker and a huge liar but we'll get into that more later. At the junction, this was the first time I stepped foot on the glorious and mystical Appalachian Trail. It truly was a spiritual moment for me. After briefly basking in the glow of being on sacred ground, I continued up the trail. The next 2 and a half miles were not exactly leveled out as Eddie had claimed. They were slightly less brutal, yes, but still up. Way up. Hench the whole Eddie's a liar thing.

So, after what seemed like weeks, I reached the spur of the half mile Mount Cammerer Trail and then... there it was. Its hard to describe something so beautiful with mere words. The lookout tower would be a sight to see if it were anywhere in the world. Here, at over 4,900 feet, it is a breathtaking beauty to behold.


And then there's the incredible 360° views...


Now, the story should end with me hiking back down the way I came up as planned. Should. However, somewhere in the excitement and emotional ineptitude of my tired mind, I decided to take this hike to the next level and make it a loop hike instead of an up-and-back. I had ever so briefly looked at the loop trail on the map days prior to the hike. The very same map I did not feel compelled to bring with me on the actual hike. Anyway, as I recalled, the loop was only a mile or so longer and I could surely handle that. After all, its all down hill from here.

After passing a small cemetery, I begin the hike down the Lower Mount Cammerer Trail. The best way to describe this trail is to say its the wilderness version of Groundhog Day. You go around the mountain, down a hill, cross a stream, up a hill and repeat. Over and over and over. By this point I was able to judge my mileage by the time on my watch. At some point, I came to realize I had positively gone more than the 7 or so miles I was sure I needed to to reach the campground and my truck. I must have missed a turn? A switchback? Something. Don't panic. I backtracked to the last trail marker I passed about half a mile back. It was a small lookout trail or something whose name I can't recall. I decided to call for help since I fortunately had a signal on my phone. I called the Cosby ranger's station. No answer. Don't panic. Hmmm... it's getting dark. Ok, panic a little. I'm running very low on water. I have no source of light. No map and no clue where the hell I'm at. I called Eddie. No answer. Panic. He called back. I explained everything in detail as he searched his map to see where I was. You know that little off trail I mentioned? It's not on the map. Panic. Eddie, who was driving home from his own day of hiking, turns around to come find me. His advice was keep going down the mountain and if it gets too dark to just wait. He'd find me or get help. I keep going. Wife calls and asks where I'm at and if I'm ok. Yes, I'm ok but I don't have any idea where I'm at and I'm out of water. Panic times two. Then just minutes later... a trail marker. Cosby Campground .5 miles. I was never lost. It wasn't 6 or 7 miles like I thought it was. It was around 10. I rush to the truck on legs that have reached their limits and speed from the campground where I had no phone signal and called Eddie to let him know I was out. Called the wife and did the same. Lesson learned.

Not ideal but I did learn that I could physically hike over 16 miles without dying. I'd caught the hiking bug.

I also bought a GPS.

TRAIL REVIEW

Low Gap Trail - 2.9 miles
Appalachian Trail - 2.1 miles
Mount Cammerer Trail - .6 mile out .6 mile back
Appalachian Trail - 2.3 miles
Lower Mount Cammerer Trail - 7.4 miles
Cosby Campground Trails - 2 miles

1 campsite (35)
Cosby Campground














For more information about this trail and many more, visit Hiking In The Smokys






2 comments:

  1. wow I love to tent camp in cosby - but have never made it past the falls - do you now carry a small amount of survival gear with you ?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I actually know (pretty much, lol) what I'm doing now. I geared up and carry a map and a GPS along with a headlamp and all the necessities. Learning the hard way is the only way! :)

    ReplyDelete