Mt. LeConte 2015

Hike #33 : April 5, 2015


19.9 miles
8.8 new miles
441.9 total overall miles
315.8 total miles of 800.8


It's been over two months since I last posted on this blog. I've been hiking, just a different kind of hiking, off trail hiking. After meeting Mike Maples on the OST, I was fortunate to get to join him on some truly amazing hikes deep into the woods where few seldom travel. Although I still plan to hike the 900, I'm not like a lot of the map markers out there... I'm in absolutely no hurry.

There's a limitless amount of hiking around here and not just in the park. Then, of course, there are many trails that I enjoy hiking repeatedly: LeConte, Rocky Top, Cammerer, Gregory Bald... just to name a few. So, when I knock off a few miles here or there I'll post them here like always. If I disappear for a spell? Well, I'm probably still out there having fun hiking... somewhere.

And speaking of trails I enjoy repeating, on Easter Sunday I ventured out to solo hike Mt. LeConte for the first time and to complete the fifth trail. There are five trails to LeConte and Trillium Gap is the last one for me. I decided, rather ambitiously I may add, to loop hike it by going up Rainbow Falls and back down Trillium Gap.

Even though the Rainbow Falls trail tried to kill me a few years ago, I do love the trail. Since I've already blogged about it here, I won't go into much detail other than to say it was wet, rocky and muddy throughout. It's a difficult hike, especially the last couple of miles to the top, but I found it less so this time around. Maybe I'm a little bit better hiker now? Maybe.

From the arrival at the lodge, it's about a two mile round trip to visit the Cliff Tops...


and Myrtle Point...


Worth every step. I also have to mention that upon my arrival to the lodge at nearly 11:00 am, I was pleasantly greeted by Dustin Hatfield and his amazing bagpipe rendition of Amazing Grace. That's probably one of those once in a lifetime you had to be there moments and it was off the chart amazing!

Dustin Hatfield playing Amazing Grace!
So after the incredible views, I had my lunch and bought my "I hike it 2015" shirt and headed out to begin my descent down Trillium Gap. The trail begins alongside the far cabins and immediately begins a downward path of rocks and water with just a little ice still hanging around. After all the mountain climbing up, the downward grade is most welcomed. Trillium is a nice trail and it offers many nice views through the trees, at least this time of year. 


The trail varies between being rocky and rooty and even smooth at times. Much like Rainbow, it's a bit of a wet, messy trail at times. If you hike it after a good rain, expect wet feet.

After 3.6 miles, I reached the trail junction with the Brushy Mountain Trail. The sign pointing to brushy mountain reads .2 miles, however the park maps says .4 miles. It's definitely closer to .4 than .2 so be prepared for that should you choose to check it out. I've also previously blogged about this hike here.

So, back to the trail sign. A right turn here would lead down to Porters Creek via the Brushy Mountain Trail but I'll be continuing to the left on Trillium Gap. At about 5.25 miles down the trail, I came to Grotto Falls.


It was here that I finally started seeing other people for the first time since LeConte. This is one of the most popular and easier accessible falls in the park and its easy to see why. The trail actually goes behind and under the waterfall which is pretty darn cool!

From here, the trail continues all the way down to the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. The road is closed in winter and as of this writing is closed due to repair work. About .1 of a mile prior to reaching the road, Trillium Gap actually turns to the left. To get the full mileage, I walk to the road and turn back around to head on down Trillium.

This last 2.3 miles was my least favorite of the day. In fact, it was bordering on mind-numbing. The trail is not hard but it follows the road to the right and is mainly all bank to the left. I guess after 17 or 18 miles I needed more to look at and I was definitely pooped so I was really just ready to wrap things up.

All in all, it was an incredible day. The sights and the overall feeling of accomplishment were amazing. LeConte never disappoints no matter which way you go!



TRAIL REVIEW

Rainbow Falls Trail - 6.5 miles

Trillium Gap Trail - 8.8 miles


Rainbow Falls

LeConte Lodge

Cliff Tops

Myrtle Point

Brushy Mountain

Grotto Falls





Wanna hike the 900 without getting lost? Start by checking out the book Day Hiker's Guide To All The Trails In The Smoky Mountains by Elizabeth L. Etnier.

Hiking Trails of the Smokies or "The Little Brown Book" from the GSMA


There is loads of information in the pages of GoSmokies.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment