Mt. Sterling

Hike #5 : May 25, 2013


Big Creek to Baxter Creek, Swallow Fork and back to Big Creek



16.6 miles
16.6 new miles
71.8 total overall miles
62.8 total miles of 800.8


This hike started out like any other. You know, with Eddie telling me how hard its not going to be. Huge lie.

We started out from the Big Creek area on the Baxter Creek Trail which after 4 miles or so miles of vertical climbing, I affectionately renamed the Bastard Creek trail. At about 5 miles up we stopped for a quick break. That means I had to stop before my heart beat its way clear out of my chest. As we started to move on, the first step I took, my knee completely gave out on my right leg. I could hardly put any weight on it at all. The pain was bad. Very.

At this point, I'm scared. We're 5 miles up a rigorous mountain and just over a mile from the top. I had to decide to try and go on or try and go back. Neither option seemed particularly possible at the time. But I decided to try and go on. It was horrible. Painful. I kept wondering if this would be my last hike.

Pressing on and trying my damnedest to ignore the pain, we made it to the top. I virtually collapsed.


At the top, there's an old fire tower. I should mention I'm afraid of heights. Big time. So here I am with a knee that is on fire with pain and about a million wooden half-rotten steps to the top of this 60 foot rusty tower of death. Sounds fun, right? Eddie, being his supportive self, convinces me I didn't just go through hell to get here only to not go all the way. Damn him. He's right.


I did it. It hurt. It was terrifying. It was worth it. What a view!


We traveled on to Swallow Fork Trail and around Big Creek Trail to complete the loop. I'm not sure if Eddie realizes how close I was to not making it. Turns out that my Merrell shoes with the air cushioned heals had collapsed and I was walking with slightly turned ankles. Not sure if that's what caused it but it couldn't have helped. Not the best hike and certainly not a great day. I can't blame that on the trail but my injury blurred the overall experience. I'll go back to Mt. Sterling someday but I have no plans of hiking Bastard Creek anytime in the near future. 

TRAIL REVIEW

Bastard... Uh, Baxter Creek Trail - 6.1 miles
Mount Sterling Ridge Trail - 1.4 miles
Swallow Fork Trail - 4.0 miles
Big Creek Trail - 5.1 miles

3 campsites (36, 37, 38)



For more information on this hike and many more, visit Hiking in the Smokys





No comments:

Post a Comment