Twentymile Trail

Hike #54 : October 31, 2015


12.2 miles
4.5 new miles
658.8 total overall miles
427.9 total miles of 800.8


Today's Halloween hike up to Shuckstack was chosen by Randy. We (Randy, Eddie and I) agreed on the Twentymile Trail route since none of us had hiked it all.


Twentymile Trail

Unfortunately, to get there, we had to go up, down, around, zig-zagging along the Dragon (US129), but fortunately for me, I didn't have to ride with the screaming super-speed demon Eddie. I rode with Randy instead and he did fine job. No car sickness or fear of projectile vomiting as is common whilst riding with Edward. We did see an unusual site along the way as some poor dude's truck spontaneously burst into flames. Kind of a weird scene that early and that remote.


That's hot.

For once, Randy was on time (I know, I couldn't believe it either!). Can't say the same for Eddie but I'm sure he was doing his best hitting all 318 curves at 90+ mph while diabolically laughing like a mad man. At least that's how I remember our last trip.

We finally start the trail as the sun rose awakening the colors of the soon-to-be gone Autumn leaves. Twentymile is an old railroad bed and that makes for a wide and mostly smooth trail. There are plenty of rocks hiding under the fallen leaves but not too bad. It's an uphill walk, not steep but very steady. At .5 of a mile we come to the first junction with Wolf Ridge Trail heading toward Gregory Bald to the left and Twentymile continuing to the right. After maybe a tenth of a mile, a side trail to the right leads to the Twentymile Cascades.


Twentymile Cascades

The trail continues along the Twentymile Creek with many, many wonderful cascades and slides along the way. Some requiring a modest amount of effort to get a really good look at. Oh, and the yellow jackets are still around in force. Came pretty close to finding that out the hard way.










At 3.1 miles in, we come to the next junction with Long Hungry Ridge that leads to Gregory Bald to the left and again we stay on Twentymile to the right.

The trail begins to narrow just a bit from the wide railroad bed and stays relatively moderate in it's uphill ascent. But that didn't last long. Soon the trail starts to climb steeply and stays that way all the way up. Its a pretty trail and the colors really make it more so, especially the ones blanketing the trail.

Soon we see our destination to the right...


Shuckstack Fire Tower from Twentymile Trail

After plenty of sweating and just a bit of whining, the steep climb reaches the Appalachian Trail where we are introduced to the main villain of the day: the wind. A right turn onto the AT leads about half a mile to the side trail to the tower. Another .1 of a mile and there we are.


The 60 foot tall Shuckstack Fire Tower

The wind followed us here. Its a little cold and a whole lot windy. Now, I'll say, as I've said many times before: I do not like heights. Not even a little. I don't even like thinking about it. However, I have climbed this tower and others before. I don't have to like it but for some ridiculous reason I do have to do it. So, after a quick snack and a silent prayer, I start climbing. At least the rotting wood steps have been replaced since I was here a few years ago so I've got that going for me. After only a few steps up, the winds is ripping at me. By the time I'm on the second tier of steps, I feel the wind physically move my body.

Nope.

I'm not a small person. For the wind to yank me around like that... well, that's just plain unacceptable. So I humbly decline the invitation to death on this Halloween in favor of hiking another day. I still managed to knock out a few pics but halfway up was all I could handle. There will be no fear conquering today. There will also be no dead me laying at the bottom of Shuckstack tower. I'll call it a win. Randy and Eddie were more than happy to follow my lead. Cowards.

I will also mention that while I was battling the lethal forces of nature, Eddie really had my back. Thanks, buddy. Lol!




Still, the views were spectacular!





After a while, the wind proved to be too much and we were soon on our way back out. We may not have made it to the top but we sure had a good time and that's why we came. And that's why we'll be back.

Great hike. Great day.

Happy Halloween from the Smokies, dude!!!
Photo by Randy Hullinger


TRAIL REVIEW

Twentymile Trail - 5 miles (one way)

Campsite #93




Wanna hike the 900 without getting lost? Start by checking out the book Day Hiker's Guide To All The Trails In The Smoky Mountains by Elizabeth L. Etnier.

Hiking Trails of the Smokies or "The Little Brown Book" from the GSMA


There is loads of information in the pages of GoSmokies.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment