Gregory Bald

Hike #7 : June 30, 2013

Gregory Ridge Trail to Gregory Bald


12 miles
6.2 new miles
92.3 total overall miles
77.2 total miles of 800.8


This was a solo hike from Forge Creek Rd. in Cades Cave to Gregory Bald. The trail is popular for its vivid display of azaleas and spectacular views. I started out on the Gregory Ridge Trail and begin a steady incline up the mountain. At about 3 miles in, the trail gets really rough. At 5 miles, I finally reached the Gregory Bald Trail. If I was thinking it would ease up a bit here (I did) then I was in for some disappointment as the trail continued a heavy incline. Then the payoff...


Unfortunately, I arrived slightly after the peak of the azaleas but there was still plenty to see. And plenty of azaleas!


The hike itself was, you guessed it, pretty much all uphill. Still, it was a beautiful day to be on the trail. After wandering around for while taking in all the beauty, I was ready to head back down the mountain when a deer stepped right out in front of me. It looked at me and went about its business as if I wasn't even there. Gotta love it. 

 


About a mile from the trailhead, my knee began feeling strange. I began to worry about whether it might go out again. With a few miles to go, I stepped over a small stream... and it went. Damn. 

I strongly suggest using hiking sticks on pretty much any hike. I can't tell you how many times they've saved my ass along the trails. On this hike, they became crutches allowing me to make that last few miles back.Gotta figure out what to do about the knees. Soon.

TRAIL REVIEW

Gregory Ridge Trail - 5.0 miles
Gregory Bald Trail - 1.2 miles


For more information on this hike and many more, visit Hiking in the Smokys



No comments:

Post a Comment