Shuckstack

Hike #9 : August 3, 2013


11.7 miles
11.6 new miles
112.8 total overall miles
93.2 total miles of 800.8


Today we head to the North Carolina side of the Smokies to the Shuckstack Fire Tower. Since its a pretty long trip, Eddie's driving and I'm riding shotgun. After a quick stop at Hardees for some pre-hike grub (mistake) we head down US 129, also known as the Dragon, to Fontana. I've never been on the Dragon before so this is a new experience. And not a good one. There's over 300 sharp curves in under 11 miles on this nauseating road from hell. I'm not all that prone to car sickness but this is ridiculous. Eddie's doing like 120mph, zipping here, zagging there... I'm holding on for dear life and praying to God that the Frisco Breakfast Sandwich I had doesn't make encore appearance all over the from windshield.

The road finally straightens out and we arrive at the Fontana Dam and damn am I ready to get out of that damn Tahoe. After several long minutes in the public restroom to compose myself, the actual hike is set to begin.

We hike up the Appalachian Trail. About 2,100 feet up, in fact, in a mere 3 miles. A mile or so farther and after one last steep climb, we reach the fire tower. I was expecting another tower like I'd seen previously on Mt. Sterling and that's basically what I got. Only this one is definitely taller and, by default, definitely scarier. (After a fact check, it's a 60 foot tower just like Mount Sterling but it definately looked and felt taller) And like before, my paralyzing fear of heights is telling me there's no need to go up there. And, like before, Eddie is applying peer pressure like a schoolyard bully.


So, I did it. Shaking all the way. But the reward...


Wow.

I climb down and we have a drink before moving on. Eddie, by the way, did NOT go up the tower. He claimed he'd done it before. I've seen no proof of that. Draw your own conclusions. 

So on we go on up the AT until we come to the junction with the Twentymile Trail to the left and Lost Cove Trail to the right. We take a right and continue the loop. On this particular hike we both brought along our hammocks. We find a nice spot to camp, so we set up the hammocks. Actually, I'd never used a hammock before so Eddie set them both up and in we went. So here I am relaxing in a hammock in the Great Smoky Mountains...


...ahhhhh. But my rest is cut agonizingly short. BOOM! The hammock comes loose. I fall flat on my ass. If you recall, Eddie set up the hammocks. I'm now convinced he really is trying to kill me a little at a time. So, with an aching ass, I hike on out of there. Aside from a broken tailbone (not really) the hike out was pleasant enough. We came to the junction with the Lakeshore Trail after 2.7 miles. This section of the hike is mostly downward but seemingly very long. There's a few views of Fontana Lake as we go along but not as many as the name Lakeshore would indicate but then again, this is only a tiny part of a much longer Lakeshore Trail. Really was a great day of hiking. There were several old cars along the path, some intertwined with the trees. This one in particular had a cute message left by a previous hiker... 


My answer? My ass hurts.

TRAIL REVIEW

Appalachian Trail - 3.7 miles
Lost Cove Trail - 2.7 miles
Lakeshore Trail - 5.2 miles

1 campsite (91)













For more information on this hike and many more, visit Hiking in the Smokys



No comments:

Post a Comment