The Boulevard

Hike #15 : April 5, 2014


Newfound Gap to AT, The Boulevard, The Jump Off, Myrtle Point, Cliff Tops, Mt. LeConte and down Alum Cave


16.6 miles
10.4 new miles
199.1 total overall miles
120.4 total miles of 800.8


This was my third hike up to LeConte but, honestly, it felt like the first.

Me and my hiking buddy Eddie set out early to hike The Boulevard Trail to Mt. LeConte. Judging by the fog and colder than cold wind when we got to Newfound Gap, things were looking a little shaky. Fortunately, when we hit the trail, the wind subsided for the most part. We hiked up the AT a little over two and a half miles where The Boulevard Trail branches off to the left. Going right would lead to Charlies Bunion.

Almost immediately after turning, we come to the junction of the Jump Off Trail. Although this is not an official trail, its well marked and easy to follow. The trail promises some excellent views but unfortunately, the fog was having none of that today. No worries. We've only just begun.

This was my first time on The Boulevard and I have to say I am very impressed. The views are non-stop on either side of the trail and the trail itself was a beautiful mix of moss and frost. I've never taken so many pictures.

The trail...


The views...


The trail is up and down and up and down. Somewhere around eight miles up I start getting tired but the views keep coming and I keep going. Around nine miles, we reach the summit electing to go left to Myrtle Point. At just a quarter of a mile, its very much worth the walk as the views are yet again amazing.



At this point (Myrtle Point, that is) we return back up the trail towards the lodge. If you don't know, LeConte Lodge is where you can rent cabins, buy stuff like the official 'I climbed Mt. LeConte' t-shirts and eat. They also have a bottomless cup of hot chocolate which I highly recommend. More info here. I digress.

It was somewhere around this point that I happened to mention to Eddie that I was tired, hungry and ready to get to the lodge asap. I had a Snicker bar and a Cherry Coke Zero in my pack screaming my name. So, Eddie being Eddie, somehow tricked me into another side trail. The Cliff Tops. I was not totally into this venture but away we go. Yep. Totally worth it. Big time. Truly breathtaking!


After The Cliff Tops we work our way down to the lodge. I devour the Snicker and Coke and down several cups of hot chocolate while sitting on the deck chilaxing in a rocking chair. Life is good.

Before leaving, we got an extra treat. We got to meet the llamas! I swear that when I took this guy's picture, he turned to the camera and smiled. No joke.


The subsequent hike down Alum Cave Trail was a blur. We put it in high gear and flew down stopping occasionally for yet more remarkable views. Probably less than a mile from the parking lot, I turned my ankle on a rock or root or something and stumbled like a fool for about ten feet or so until my sticks finally kept me from face planting. Bullet dodged. Ankle sore.

When all was said and done, this was one of the best and most beautiful hikes ever. From this point on, hiking The Boulevard up LeConte will be mandatory, hiking down still optional. 

TRAIL REVIEW

Appalachian Trail - 2.7 miles
The Boulevard Trail - 5.4 miles
Alum Cave Trail - 5.0 miles

1 shelter (Mount LeConte)

For more pictures of this hike, check out the Smoky Mountain Hikertrash facebook page.

For more information on this hike and many more, visit Hiking in the Smokys.


No comments:

Post a Comment