Lumber Ridge Loop

Hike #42 : July 26, 2015


9.4 miles
4.1 new miles
525.6 total overall miles
366.2 total miles of 800.8


This week's hike is the Lumber Ridge Trail. I've wanted to do this one for a while and what better time than on a hot, hot summer day all by myself. Sometimes I just like to hit the reset button and wander a secluded trail, just me and the trees.

After getting an early start to try and beat the afternoon heat, I park at the Tremont Institute where its just a short walk to the trailhead. I decided to hike out to Spruce Flats Falls before hitting Lumber Ridge so I followed the "Falls" signs leading to the right.The Lumber Ridge Trail and the Spruce Flats Falls Trail begin at the same trailhead.

The trail gets going uphill pretty quick. Its a very worn trail and offers some nice morning views to the right. The trail is rated moderate as it is generally uphill and a bit steep in a few spots with some light rock-hopping. After just a mile, the falls come into view.

This is my first trip to these falls and I'd honestly not heard much about it so I was very pleasantly surprised by its sheer beauty.


Spruce Flats Falls

I could have hung out at the falls a lot longer but I had hiking to do and the sun was already sending its warmth my way. So, I head back along the Spruce Flats Falls Trail to the beginning of Lumber Ridge Trail and I'm off!


The sun rising over Lumber Ridge Trail

The Lumber Ridge Trail is not by any means the steepest trail around but what it is, is a very steady and unrelenting climb. The surface of the trail is very smooth and there are some surprisingly nice views although mostly obscured by trees.


One of several nice views from Lumber Ridge

As the trail continues on and on up its steady climb, it starts to feel never ending. However after just 2.5 miles, things start going downhill for a change. Still, the walk seems somehow drawn out and even downhill seems to drag until reaching the junction with Meigs Creek and Meigs Mountain Trails. I suppose the heat and humidity had a great deal to do with that as I was already soaked to the bone with sweat.

At the junction, I took a break and had a quick snack. Now, this is generally an out and back hike which would mean its time to reverse course and return from whence I came... however...

As I was researching this hike (yes, smarty pants, I do sometimes do that) I came across a few blogs and articles about a manway that would make this hike a loop hike. I like loop hikes. Hiking a manway in the midst of summer with the slithering snakes and swarming bees? I don't know...

The manway, according to my GPS software, used to be a maintained trail named Spruce Flats Trail and from what I'd read, it was in very good shape. Looking at it, I had to agree. So I decide to err on the side of adventure and the manway it is!


The beginning of Spruce Flats Trail

The trail begins with a moderately steep downhill and opens onto a wide seemingly well groomed trail. There's a lot of rhododendron and fern lining the trail and a nice little creek that I get to crisscross many times. I'm immediately loving this trail. Even though it basically runs along Lumber Ridge Trail, it is vastly different and much more lush.


Spruce Flats Manway

About a half mile in I get to see my first wild hog. It was strange because at first I though it must be a bear as it stood in knee high or better grass about 100 feet or so from the trail. As I looked closer, I could see it wasn't a bear and when it finally looked up, our eyes met and zoom, it was gone. I was a bit surprised at how large the beast was. That was one fat pig!

The trail maintains an almost level path through the woods. The deeper in, there are a few spots that get a little nastily grown up and some of the rock-hops are more difficult than usual (and could be seriously rough in high water) but overall the trail is in great shape to be unmaintained. There's also a few treasures left behind from the lumber companies...


Not sure what this is?

There are several huge chunks of this cable laying around

Before long, I can hear the sound of a waterfall. As I reach it, I'm expecting to see the same falls that I'd already visited earlier but that's not what I found at all. I had been told there was an upper falls but that had slipped my mind until I saw it! Unfortunately, there's no good view from the trail with all the leaves and trees blocked sight. As I started to move on, I couldn't help but notice where someone had been fool enough to slide/crawl/fall down this steep ridge to get a view of the falls. What kind of complete idiot would do such a thing? Right here. Me. I would. I have hiking poles. what could go wrong?

Well, I try planting my poles to ease myself down gently but instead I must have decided it best just to fall on my ass and slide 6 to 8 feet in the dirt and mud. Hmpth. Well, it worked. I managed to ease on down the rest of the way holding on to any tree or branch I could get a hold on. As it clears out and I have a cliff's edge to stand on, I am standing just below the top and within feet of this beautiful waterfall which happens to be the Upper Spruce Flats Falls. It is breathtakingly beautiful.




Pictures just cannot do it no justice. I stood in awe watching and feeling the water as it crashed down. Amazing. Finally, I climbed my way back up to the trail (which was actually easier than getting down). From here the trail winds down to the lower falls where my day began and I saw the first people had seen all day. I hung around the lower falls and took more pictures before returning down Spruce Flats Falls Trail again. In hindsight, that walk to the falls before hitting Lumber Ridge wasn't necessary but I regret nothing!

A person could hike to both tiers of Spruce Flats Falls in what is probably less than 3 or 4 miles total. Although, unless you want to slide down the ridge, it may be best to hike it in the fall or early spring.

Overall, this was an incredible hike and adventure and I'll definitely be hiking Spruce Flats again someday soon. Really soon, I hope! Until next time, happy hiking!




TRAIL REVIEW

Lumber Ridge Trail - 4.1 miles

Spruce Flats Trail (Manway) -  4 miles

Spruce Flats Falls Trail - 1 mile (one way)



Upper and lower Spruce Flat Falls




Wanna hike the 900 without getting lost? Start by checking out the book Day Hiker's Guide To All The Trails In The Smoky Mountains by Elizabeth L. Etnier.

Hiking Trails of the Smokies or "The Little Brown Book" from the GSMA


There is loads of information in the pages of GoSmokies.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment